The Wheel in Your Brain
Pandemics result in LOTS of thoughts. There is a spectrum of fear and uncertainty:
- Will I get sick?
- How do I help others who get sick?
- What will be happening at this time next week?
- How do I keep my three year old occupied while I work?
- How will I pay the rent next month?
There is also opportunity and creation:
- I get to read instead of commute
- i can bake that recipe that I have been wanting to try.
- I can organize the pictures that have been backlogged for 5 years.
- I can try out some new self – care practices…do I actually like yoga?
Odds are you are living in both spaces. Depending on the day or hour. It might feel like your brain is on a hamster wheel with all the thoughts circulating in and out.
Experts estimate that the mind thinks between 60,000 – 80,000 thoughts a day. That’s an average of 2500 – 3,300 thoughts per hour. That’s incredible. Other experts estimate a smaller number, of 50,000 thoughts per day, which means about 2100 thoughts per hour.
All those thoughts create emotions and with the range of thoughts you are thinking right now, it makes total sense that you are on a roller coaster of emotions right now. And that can be exhausting.
How can you stop the wheel of thoughts?
- Step 1: Notice the wheel is spinning and recognize the wheel is not in control of you.
- Step 2: Allow yourself to take a deep breath and slow the wheel down. Notice the thought. Name it to release it.
- Step 3: Breathe and release.
The wheel is there, but you can control how fast it spins. Breathe. Name the thought. Release it.
Fear will come. Opportunity will come. Keep what is serving you, acknowledge and release the rest.
To A Life All In,
P.S. Want more training and noticing and releasing thoughts? Want awareness around the thoughts that serve you? Want to grab control of the hamster wheel? It is all possible. Contact me for a free consult. You will experience what i am talking about.